Mike Philbin - INTROVERSIONS paintings - six new 20" x 16" canvases

the last set of 50x50cm paintings I did, I wasn't very happy with. To say I wasn't pleased with them, would be an understatement. You know how it is. One's investigating one's own syntax and grammar for a set of abstract paintings, darling, and one pushes too f-ing hard. Tries to hard to advance the f-ing form. Makes a f-ing mess. I had intended to make a happy threesome of three-border, two-border, three-border but the colours mushed to greys and it just didn't work as I'd intended.

Ironically, they're three of my most popular paintings in terms of positive feedback, so what do I know? What I do is I learn from my mistake and realise that the show must go on. And by this, of course, I'm referring to the style of left-right linear-narrative painting. It was truncated (intentionally) by me so-called 'narrative' three-border device and my self-imposed colour schemes. The central of the grey-mush disaster-paintings had two clean borders, one top and one bottom. I saw this as release from the three-border prison. This was it, "The eternal story," that these paintings should always have been telling. The one that has no beginning or end. The artistic equivalent of an anecdote, and I had it.





And I was very pleased, having suddenly accident'd upon my own artistic salvation.





PS: just noticed, 20x16 canvases in 2016 - perfect. Four more in this style to come; colours chosen, canvases on their way.

INTROVERSIONS UPDATE: six done (above), four more planned (this time on a loose theme of skin/eye colour)... I was thinking of doing an Alien skin/eye combination, and maybe one of them still is. Maybe they all are. Who knows?  

Just added a new website for these paintings @ Mike Philbin Art

Comments